Just in time for Saint Paddy’s Day!! A few useful resources I researched to help you fill that pot of gold when prospecting in Ireland! In recent years gold mining and exploration in Ireland has been growing by leaps and bounds.
Ever since the days of the Celts, gold has been found and valued on the Green Isle! While the larger volumes probably entered Ireland through the commerce and battles of the Celts, gold is available for prospecting, explorations, and mining in Ireland.
Want Recent News About Gold Mining & Exploration in Ireland?
Mining.com has all the digs! Follow them on Twitter. I do.
e Gold Prospecting Resources for all of Ireland
Gold Prospecting & Mining Resources in the Republic of Ireland:
- National Museum of Ireland Exhibit Antique Gold Objects & Techniques
- General Overview of Mining in Ireland
- Historical Review
- Minerals Ireland Exploration Data
- Mineral Potential in Ireland
- GSI: Gold CD
- Geologic Service of Ireland offering to provide explorationists with synoptic information on the plus 300 gold occurrences in Ireland.
- GSI Bulletins
- A few for further review: Gold in Ireland: Glacial deposits of South County Dublin (#0130); Gold in Wicklow, Mineralisation SE margin Leinster Granite (#0141); SE Ireland gold mineralisation (#0143)
- The Mining Heritage of Wicklow Exhibition
- Includes info of the Wicklow Area Gold Rush
- GSI Interactive Maps
- Includes: Bedrock/Topographic/Mine Sites/Mineral Occurrences/& More
- Ireland Exploration Licensing Process
And now for the top end of the island…
North Ireland Gold Prospecting Resources:
- GSNI Overview of Gold/Silver
- GSNI Exploration Publications & Guides
- GSNI GeoIndex: Geology; Bedrock; Topos; and a Historic Mine Map
- Their historic mine map as example:
These links should get you moving into the field and started gold prospecting in Ireland. Of course, with the historic and ancient nature of the development of the Green Isle, one other “prospecting” adventure which may be profitable for your enjoyment is metal detecting for lost/buried treasure caches. Like these…found in Britain.
While mostly focused on the UK, you can some specific information and regulations related to your side of the pond at National Council for Metal Detecting!
They provide this awesome 40 page primer on metal detecting! It is a great nugget of useful information for any metal detectorists around the world.
While this isn’t much, I hope this helps point you in the best direction to HELP YOU MAKE YOUR OWN LUCK!
As always our primary goal is to help folks find more gold!! So if you have a specific research need prospected but we don’t have anything listed, or you just can’t seem to find information on your own, just let me know how I can help. Click the “Need Help” bubble in the lower left or send me a quick note here.
Finally, here are a few other gold prospecting articles you may find interesting:
More on Where to Prospect: a “Miner’s Miner” Speaks Up (Part 1)(goldbedrockgold.blogspot.com)
- The Best Route Planning for Gold Prospecting (egoldprospecting.com)